Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What's Blooming at Tohono Chul

Here's some of what I found blooming at Tohono Chul Park, a desert preserve and botanical garden about nine miles west of Sabino Canyon. Tohono Chul means "desert corner" in the Tohono O'odham language.

Some of the flowers pictured here are native to the area and can also be found growing at Sabino Canyon such as: brittle bush, fairy duster, agave, penstemon, and desert bells. The other specimens are adapted to the southwest climate and grow in cultivated gardens and landscaping in the Sonoran Desert.

Goodding's Verbena

Red Fairy Duster

Dried Agave blossoms

Firecracker Penstemon and Verbena

Verbena and Penstemon

Texas Mountain Laurel aka Mescal Bean

Autumn Sage, Emory Dalea and Calliandra

Citrus blossoms

Parry's Penstemon below a Palo Verde tree

Desert Bluebells

What's blooming in your area? I mainly went to Tohono Chul Park to see what was blooming, but was delighted to find a whole lot more besides flowers. Here is some garden art I found at the park.

12 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Diane, GORGEOUS flowers.. I love the Red Fairy Duster, the Texas Mtn. Laurel, and the Bluebells. WOW!!!!

Hope you are having a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

deedee said...

I really need to take some time and get down to Tucson! Your pictures are tempting.

Phoenix C. said...

The Red Fairy Duster is wonderful, and a great name too!

Here little violets are blooming (in all kinds of unexpected places) and many different daffodils.

Teri said...

Now you were over in my neighborhood and at one of my favorite places. Love those desert bluebells. Great photos!

Kay said...

Your desert area is so pretty. Not what you normally think about the desert. I too live in a desert area but it is not this pretty. I wish I could get to the Anzo Borrego area here in SoCal. I've always heard that they really have some beautiful wildflowers this time of year, but it about 150 miles from where I live. I will try to get up to the California Poppy Reserve soon though. It is only about 50 or 60 miles away.

Martha Z said...

Beautiful flowers. Jules and I are going camping next week at Pinnacles National Monument and Carrizo Plain. I hope to see some nice wildflowers there. Both places are noted for their flowers but with our drought in California, I don't know wat we will find.

Icy BC said...

The desert bluebells are strikingly gorgeous, and that blue colors are just amazing...beautiful post Diane!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love all the flowers. I'm learning so much about the desert here. I had no idea it was so beautiful.

kesslerdee said...

great pictures! Thanks for putting a name to the flowers I've been seeing!

Anonymous said...

It really does look like the desert has awakened for you. We only have Indian Plum that is beginning to bloom. Although the willows are coming out too.

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful, beautiful flowers. Your photos are just heavenly and made me sigh. I just went for a 7 mile hike across the high desert here in NM and I feel totally blissed out from that hike. Am doing it early morning. Every day. It feels right! The desert is rapidly coming to life after it's winter break. People are wear shorts here. I love it. :) :)

Leedra said...

Enjoyed the stroll through the park.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra