Thursday, January 1, 2009

Cacti, Critters, Cliffs, and Creek

Welcome to the first post of my first blog! By sharing my discoveries, from commonplace to quirky, about the desert oasis I happen to live down the road from, I hope to encourage others to spend time exploring nature where they live.

Sabino Canyon is a popular recreation area located in the Coronado National Forest north of Tucson, Arizona. It offers paved roads for trams, bicycles, walking and running, and trails for hiking and horseback riding. A rich variety of plants, animals, landforms, as well as a stream, can be enjoyed within a mile of the parking lot, making it a great place for all to connect with nature.

No special equipment or elaborate planning is necessary to enjoy a peaceful stroll.

Wildlife is abundant, but can be missed if you're in a hurry or not paying attention.

Most of the trails vary in difficulty from easy to moderate.

Some say that this rock formation on the canyon wall looks like a mask.

Sabino Creek runs nearly year-round and attracts many visitors to the recreation area.

Each visit to a natural area such as this is unique depending on the season, weather, and time of day. You never know what you'll find, and perhaps that's what makes it so inviting. I hope you'll check back to see what else I've stumbled upon in my neck of the woods.

2 comments:

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

This is a beautiful place to live by, Diane! Can I visit you? I'm going to follow your blog now! :-)

Diane AZ said...

BC - Yes, you would love the warmth and sunshine!